- Leksell Gamma Knife® Icon™ – First Frameless Gamma Knife Radiosurgery System in Southeast Asia
Leksell Gamma Knife® Icon™ – First Frameless Gamma Knife Radiosurgery System in Southeast Asia
03/09/2018 0 47 views
It is the latest treatment option for brain tumors and disorders. No pain, No surgery, Ultraprecise.
The Gamma Knife technology was developed in 1967 by Swedish neurosurgeon, Lars Leksell and has ever since treated over 850,000 cases. Leksell Gamma Knife® Icon™ is the 6th generation of this technology, giving hope to patients with inoperable or complicated brain conditions.
Sharper than a knife but it’s NOT a knife
During treatment,192 beams of radiation are precisely directed to the brain lesion, damaging the cancer cells and sparing the surrounding tissues. The result is remarkable (as shown below), where the tumour gradually stops growing and in many instances, disappears over time. So far we are the only centre in Southeast Asia which can perform frameless gamma knife radiosurgery. This means the patients do not need to wear head frame with four screws to hold the frame in place during the treatment which could be uncomfortable to them.
Common conditions where Gamma Knife treatment would be considered are:
- Malignant tumors: damaging the cancer cells and preventing them from multiplying while, causing the tumour to shrink and eventually die
- Benign tumors (meningioma, acoustic neuromas and pituitary tumors): attacking the tumor’s cells, causing the tumor to shrink over time
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs): destroying the abnormal tangles of arteries and veins, causing the blood vessels to close ou over time
- Trigeminal neuralgia: killing the nerves so that they can longer send false pain signals
The Gamma Knife Experience – treatment steps
- Consultation with a neurosurgeon or a clinical
- Defining the target – Patients will have a CT and MRI for treatment The images will help the doctor to define the area to be treated.
- Stabilization – A thermoplastic mask is placed over the face or a head frame is attached to the This prevents movement during treatment and allows the doctor to accurately locate and treat targets.
- Treatment planning – Once MRI/CT images that pinpoint the exact location to be treated, the Gamma Knife team develops a customized treatment plan using a highly specialized planning Every treatment plan is uniquely created.
- Gamma Knife Icon treatment – During treatment, the patients will lie on the treatment table, covered by a warm blanket; patients often
listen to music or fall asleep while having treatment. Treatment can last a few minutes or more than an hour, depending on the number of targets, as well as the size and shape of each target.
- Post Treatment – The thermoplastic mask or head frame is Typically patients are allowed to go home on the same day or sometimes are advised to stay over night. The patients will be monitored from time to time by the physician to check on the recovery progress. In a nutshell, Leksell Gamma Knife® Icon™ is a gold standard treatment for brain tumour and functional disorders.
View all articles